Here we offer links to some of our favorite web sites. They are organized into five categories: birds and birding, National Wildlife Refuges, area friends groups, nature and science, and photographers and naturalists.
All of the links on this page were verified on 4-3-22. Sites that were reported as not secure cannot be linked to our website. Those sites are listed at the bottom of the appropriate catagory. Some sites that were previouly included here were identified as a security risk and have been removed from our lists.
Please report broken links, other errors and suggestions for additions to our lists, to the page webmaster.
Birds and Birding
Birding clubs, bird advocacy, bird science, bird rescue and rehabilitation and birding.
- American Bird Conservancy - Dedicated to achieving conservation results for birds of the Americas.
- American Birding Association - The ABA is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization that provides leadership to birders by increasing their knowledge, skills, and enjoyment of birding. We are the only organization in North America that specifically caters to recreational birders.
- All About Bald Eagles - This is a website recommended by a student. Amelia thought that information in this website should be shared with you. There are a number of interesting links at the bottom of this web page.
- Build Your Own Birdhouse for Your Backyard Birding Hobby - The title of this website does not do justice to the breadth of information both in this website and linked to other websites. Birdwatching, field guides and feeders are some of the subject covered by this website. Bird houses, they too are covered by some basic information and links to more detailed information.
- Beginner's Guide to Bird Watching Around Your Home by HomeAdvisor. This website was brought to our attention by a student. Thanks, Kara! The website has many useful links to information about binoculars, tips about how and where to find the birds and bird identification.
- Birding and Wild Bird Care - the spruce a home and garden site with information about birding in your yard.
- Birding Hotspots Around the World - The links on this site go directly to information on specific birding hotspots around the world, local site guides, etc. Although these links can't replace knowing a fellow birder in the location you're going, they can certainly help!
- Birdwatching Dot Com - Birdwatching Dot Com is about wild birds and the sport of birding. It's for everyone who's interested in bird watching and enjoying nature.
- Boreal Birdsong Initiative - As the voice for boreal birds, the Boreal Songbird Initiative (BSI) is committed to protecting the Canadian Boreal Forest—the largest intact forest on Earth—on behalf of the billions of migratory birds that rely on it.
- Cape May Bird Observatory - NJ Audubon - A part of the New Jersey Audubon the CMBO keeps its finger on the pulse of migration through annual counts. CMBO features weekly walks, special field trips and the Cape May School of Birding. Update
- Cecil County Bird Club - The club is a chapter of the Maryland Ornithological Society. It is dedicated to the promotion of birding in northeastern Maryland.
- Cornell Lab of Ornithology - We use science to understand the world, to find new ways to make conservation work, and to involve people who share our passion.There is some real good stuff here, take a look.
- Delaware Audubon Society - Focused on the Delaware Bay and the Coastal Zone Delaware Audubon is an advocate for environmental issues; and sponsors public programs and school education.
- Delaware Birding Trail - This website does a great job identifing Dleaware birding sites. Look under the "Birding Regions" tab and select an area..
- Delmarva Ornithological Society - Birding in Delaware - Field trips, youth birding activities, bird counts and other activities to interest and involve the Delaware birder.
- Shorebird Monitoring Program - The numbers of migratory shorebirds stopping in Delaware are in serious decline. The Delaware Shorebird Project involves a dedicated team of scientists, local volunteers, researchers and birders working to mitigate the threat to our shorebirds.
- eBird- Global tools for birders, critical data for science. Explore, track record, share and contribute. Click Bombay Hook to see the eBird list of sightings at our Refuge.
- Fat Birder - Linking birders worldwide is is the birders' web resource about birds, birding, birdwatching & birding software.
- Great Backyard Bird Count - This organization merged with eBird. More than 160,000 people of all ages and walks of life worldwide join the four-day count each February to create an annual snapshot of the distribution and abundance of birds.
- Guide to Bird-Watching from Your Window This site was recommended by Amy, a 5th grader, who added that it has great bird watching info for beginners, with links to resources on binoculars, ethics, & clubs. She used our links to help with her birds and migration project. Thanks, Amy!
- Guide to bird-watching with binoculars. This link was suggested by the Bay Minette STEMettes. Thanks for the link, STEMetts
- Hawk Mountain Sanctuary - An internationally known center for the study of raptors. Their on-site educational programs expand to include topics such as butterflies and hummingbirds.
- Life Histories of Familiar North American Birds - Everyone interested in birds should discover the magnificent work of Arthur Cleveland Bent(1866-1954), one of America's greatest ornithologists. His extraordinary Life Histories of North American Birds, published in a twenty-one volume series (1919-1968), provided behavioral information not available in the standard field guides.
- Patuxent Wildlife Research Center - The Center conducts research on a wide variety of scientific topics. It provides a number of resources and references that are of interest to birders of all knowledge levels.
- Purple Martin Conservation Association - The PMCA is the world leader in research, education and conservation of Purple Martins, the largest swallow in North America.
- Tree Musketeers Birdwatching Guide - A guide for the whole family. Suggestions to involve everyone from kids to seniors.
- Tri-State Bird Rescue - If you find an injured or baby bird this organization will provide the information you need to see that the bird receives proper care.For Delaware and neighboring states, you can call Tri-State at (302) 737-9543. We are open seven days a week from 9 a.m to 5 p.m.
National Wildlife Refuges
Nearby national wildlife refuges in Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Virginia. Distances shown are the driving distances from Bombay Hook as calculated by Google Maps.
- An interactive find a refuge by name, state or Zip Code.
- Blackwater NWR, Cambridge, MD - 81 miles
- Bombay Hook NWR, Smyrna, DE
- Cape May NWR, Cape May Court House, NJ - 106 miles
- Chincoteague NWR, Chincoteague, VA - 122 miles
- Eastern Neck NWR, S. Edesville, MD - 57 miles
- Eastern Shore of Virginia NWR, Cape Charles, VA - 170 miles
- Fisherman Island NWR, Cape Charles, VA - 140 miles
- Forsythe NWR, Galloway, NJ - 130 miles
- Great Swamp NWR, New Vernon, NJ - 157 miles
- John Heinz at Tinicum NWR, Philadelphia, PA - 70 miles
- Prime Hook NWR, Milton, DE - 40 miles
- Supawna Meadows NWR, Pennsville, NJ - 35 miles
- Susquehanna NWR, Havre de Grace, MD - 71 miles
Friends groups in Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Virginia. Note that not all refuges have Friends organizations. The following list identifies organizations, similar to the Friends of Bombayhook, that we found online.
Nature and Science
Local and national nature organizations.
- National Audubon Society
- Delaware Audubon Society
- Chenoa Manor Animal Sanctuary, 733 Glen Willow Rd., Avondale, PA 19311
- Delaware Nature Society, P.O. Box 700, Hockessin, DE 19707
- Delmarva Ornithological Society, P.O. Box 4247, Greenville, Delaware 19807
- National Wildlife Federation, PO Box 1583, Merrifield VA 22116-1583
- National Wildlife Refuge Association
- Partnership for the Delaware Estuary, 110 South Poplar Street, Suite 202, Wilmington, DE 19801
- Chesapeake Bay Foundation
- Sierra Club
- The Nature Conservancy
- Delaware Chapter of The Nature Conservancy
- The Student Conservation Association
- U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service
Photographers and Naturalists
Photographers and naturalists who contribute their time and talents to the refuge. (Verified October 25, 2017)