What's New at Bombay Hook
Friends of Bombay Hook - Help Wanted
Friends of Bombay Hook, Inc. is in search of applicants for a permanent part-time contracted coordinator position (To see job description click here.) to assist the Friends of Bombay Hook Officers and Board of Directors with day to day operations and to oversee and expand the retail operations of the Friends of Bombay Hook, Inc.
Interested applicants should inquire by sending their contact information and resume to Friends of Bombay Hook, Inc. at FOBH@comcast.net to the attention of Randy Murphy, Chairperson, Hiring Committee.
Applicants will be accepted until March 10, 2017 with all interviews scheduled and completed by April 1, 2017.
As posted by the Smyrna-Clayton Sun-Times "Bombay Hook to host Saturday birding tour Bombay Hook National Wildlife Refuge ... will hold an impoundment bird identification tour from 9 to 11 a.m. Feb. 11."
"Join Volunteer Terry Willis for a bus tour of the refuge impoundments and bayside. See and identify the winter waterfowl, resident herons and perhaps some shorebirds along with eagles and other passing raptors. Viewing scopes will be provided. Tour will take about two hours depending on conditions. Meets at Visitor Center. Space is limited. To register, call 653-9345 or email firstname.lastname@example.org."
Amazon Smile is great way to help your Friends. Amazon will donate a percentage of the sale of Smile eligible items to The Friends of Bombay Hook. Log in to Smile here.
- The Blue Heron Gift Shoppe has closed for the winter. It will reopen in March
- New to bird watching or just curious about the birds in your back yard? A young friend of ours recommends the "Guide to Bird-Watching from Your Window." You will find that site and many others listed in our Web Links Page.
- The November 1, 2016, edition of the Friends' Newsletter has been posted. Click on the image to read it. The next issue will be available in March, 2017.
- The structural stabilization of the Allee House has been completed. Work to improve drainage around the house will be done next spring. Neither the renovation, nor furnishing, of the interior has been funded. For more information please click here.
- A Dover Post article presented the schedule for the Junior Ranger & Junior Refuge Manager programs. These programs are for children ages 7-11. The meetings are monthly from November through April with additional meetings in June and August. Space is limitted, please registeer by calling 302-653-9345 or e-mailing email@example.com.
- The Friends of Bombay Hook Bird Club Schedule of 2017 Bird Walks is available on their page. You can find it by clicking here.
- "Bombay Hook is among the most famous birding locations in the eastern United States." So states the Audubon Society in the Bombay Hook section of Birding in Delaware.
- Hit the trail: The Delaware Outdoor Trail, a collection of more than 60 activities at over 40 statewide locations, ranging from the rolling hills of Delaware’s wooded north to its southern beaches and bays. Read about the trail locations, and how it works and how to get started.
- Be sure to read 50 Great (and Neat) Native Plants for Delaware Gardens, published by Quentin Schlieder of the Bombay Hook Garden Keepers. Use it as a reference when reading Quentin's articles in upcoming editions of the Friends' newsletter and as a resource to help you with your backyard planting.
The Bombay Hook Garden Keepers are garden enthusiasts who meet monthly to learn about gardening with native plants in the mid-Atlantic region; they maintain the native landscape around the refuge Visitor Center. Their meetings and special events are posted on the Events Calendar page of the web site.
- Help Friends by participating in a fundraising opportunity through Redners grocery stores: When you shop at Redners using your Pumps Perks card, save your receipt and hand in the entire receipt at the Visitor Center store. Over $2000 in Redners receipts have already been turned in. At $5000, Friends qualifies to get the first 1% back! Find the location of the nearest Redners warehouse market here.
- See a slideshow of images taken at Bombay Hook by refuge volunteer and Friends' member Karen Dever on the Photogallery page.
- Friends is now on Facebook! Check out our page here and be sure to post.
We are adding the photographs taken at Bombay Hook. To submit a photgraph please e-mail us at Friends.
National Conservation Training Center - Monarch Butterfly Conservation Series registration and schedule.
You must register to participate in these programs. You can see the schedule and register by clicking on the above link.